Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Sunday brisket

I found a piece of brisket in the freezer when I was rummaging the other day and decided to use it for Sunday lunch. Although, Sunday "lunch" was actually in the early evening because I was working in the afternoon, so no time for lunch at lunchtime - and no time for proper roasting when I got back, either.

So I put the brisket, along with a variety of pot vegetables into the slow cooker with a glass of white wine and a healthy handful of fresh thyme, set the slow cooker to automatic, and took myself off to the Collegiate Learning Centre.

When I got back I took the beautifully tender meat and put it into a moderate oven for about 30 minutes to crisp up a bit on the outside.  While I was about it I also put some small potato pieces in to roast.  The rest of the contents of the slow cooker went into the blender and then through a fine sieve to make a really lovely gravy.  We had this feast with winter vegetables and followed it up with a gooseberry crumble.

It was all well worth waiting for :-)

The following day I braised the leftover brisket in the remains of the gravy, just so it was all hot. I made some mashed potato and cooked up some cabbage and some rather fetching pink/purple Brussells sprouts. I also made a Yorkshire pudding which I think had designs on the whole universe it grew and grew so much in the oven. I think I had probably made enough for four or even six people - but The Builder and I man- and womanfully devoured it all :-D


No comments:

Post a Comment