Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Welcome, 2012

The Builder and I retired to bed nice and early on New Year's Eve, so that we would be refreshed and eager to greet 2012 with enthusiasm and vigour.

We were woken at 23:45 by The Builder's mobile phone excitedly receiving a text message.  It doesn't get many text messages so is always keen to tell us when it does.  We were woken again at 00:15 by what I think might have been the new people in the last house at the end of the terrace.  Whoever it was, they were having a long, loud and cheery fireworks party.  I woke up at 03:00 or so because I was a bit hot and a bit thirsty.  We were woken after 04:00 by Daniel-next-door, who is in the army and stationed in Germany but is home for the holidays, having a happy, drunken and LOUD conversation on his mobile phone, until hustled inside by his father.  At 05:15 I gave up and dispatched The Builder to make us a cup of tea.  2012 was clearly determined that we were going to note its arrival as soon as it could attract our attention!!

In fact, it is usually quite quiet in Tupton and it's unusual for us to be woken by noise at all.  It was very exciting to had so many noise interruptions in one night!!!

This all had the effect that I was more than ready for Bea and Steve to come to lunch at 13:00.  I had taken the giblets and neck  from the lunchtime goose and made a stock.  I had tidied up. I had set the table and made a table decoration.  We had been out a-hunting and a-gathering in the garden and returned with a trug of vegetables (although it was a bit weird to be wandering around in the garden on New Year's Day wearing nothing but a cardigan. Well yes, and clothes - but no winter weight coat or scarf). The goose had gone into the oven on time.  All was good!  Although it is always a bit disconcerting when we are having a luncheon party and I am ready ahead of time. I always worry that I have forgotten something.  But on this occasion, I hadn't.

And it was a very jolly luncheon party. And the roast goose was lovely. It was wet and very windy outside, but warm and cosy and festive inside.  I think we all had a good time.

Today the sun has come out and it's a beautiful day. The temperature is much closer to the January average, so no wandering around outside without a jacket on. It's still nice and cosy in the house though.

It's a Bank Holiday today in the UK, and then most of the rest of the country gets back to normal tomorrow. Not Scotland, which I think is largely closed tomorrow.  And not me.  I have the rest of the week off :-)

Happy New Year
(Click on the photo to reach the food blog, to read all about the roast goose)

No comments:

Post a Comment