Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

I seem to be in pie mode at the moment!

I was reading one of my regular blogs (one that I read, not one that I write!) and found this recipe

I have to say - the egg and bacon pie looked delicious.  I had eggs.  I didn't have bacon, but I did have quite a bit of ham.  So I made up a shortcrust pastry with half lard and half butter.  I lined a rectangular pie dish with pastry and lined that with ham.  Then I broke four eggs in (yolks whole).  I *gently* layered more ham over the eggs, added four more eggs on top of that, then a final layer of ham and covered the lot with a pastry lid.  I baked it at 175d for about an hour.

And here is a slice of it with some Chatsworth beetroot chutney, which we had for Sunday Brunch:



There's more for lunches this week :-)

And with those eight eggs, I had run out for the first time since Schnitzel and Kiev started laying!!!  Fortunately, Schnitzel obliged with another egg.  And Parsley produced her first, a pretty, speckled brown egg.  I used the eggs to make a Yorkshire pudding to accompany our Sunday roast.  I am coming to the conclusion that the inconsistency I used to have with Yorkshire pudding results may well be down to the quality of the eggs.  Since I stopped buying eggs in supermarkets and started buying them in farm shops, my Yorkies have been much more consistent.  And with extremely fresh eggs, the pudding rose and rose and rose and rose and ROSE.  We had it with roast beef, Jersey royal potatoes, and cabbage, carrots, peas and broad beans from the garden.

It was a good food Sunday!



No comments:

Post a Comment