Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Yellow pepper and tuna stew



I adapted this from a recipe on www.cuisine.com.au. They had it as a warming, winter comfort food. I looked at it and thought what a lovely summer dish it would make!

I took a white onion and sliced it thinly, and two yellow peppers, which I chopped into chip sized strips. I then sauteeed them gently in a mix iof butter and olive oil until they wre softened but not browned. THen I added some very finely chopped garlic and carried on for a minute or so.

I then added: one generous glass of dry white wine, a tin of chopped tomatoes, a GLUGGG of sweet chilli sauce, 2 bay leaves, 2 teaspoons of parpika and a generous pinch of saffron, stirred it all around and left it to simmer very gently for about 20 minutes until it was all glossy and lustrous.

I chopped fresh skipjack tuna (sustainably sourced and l;ine fished, so I am given to understand)into bite sized pieces and added them with some very fresh peas and baby broad beans to the sauce and simmered gently until the tuna was *just* cooked. I served it with fresh spaghetti. I would have added fresh chopped parsely or coriander - but didn't have any. It would have been better with it but was exceedlingly yummy even without it.

Might try it next time with some chopped fresh ginger instead of the paprika. Or may even as well as!

No comments:

Post a Comment