Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Chicken gratin

I made a version of this last week with chicken breasts. But last night I had some boned chicken thighs and decided to use them. The thighs worked really well - they were more succulent than the breast version

I used my individual sized lasagne dishes and layered the bottom of each one with slices of fresh tomato. Then I added some chopped mushrooms and some chopped fresh asparagus. I spooned in some brie cheese (I found some brie "innards" without the rind in a pot in the supermarket and bought it to try it) and added some fresh marjoram, chopped up. Then I covered everything with the chicken thighs (two per person), covered the dishes with foil and put them in a moderate oven until the chicken was just cooked and the sauce was bubbling. Then I covered both dishes thickly with fresh breadcrumbs, dotted with butter and toasted the dishes until the butter was melted and the breadcrumbs were golden.

We had the chicken gratins with boiled new potatoes and baby carrots from my carrot box, together with just a little gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment