Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Friday, August 22, 2008

Absolutely, positively my last ever visit to Psalter Lane

You find me at Psalter Lane again. Absolutely and positively for the very last time this time. Barb says that I've had more farewell appearances here than Frank Sinatra ever contemplated. This may well be true, but this one is definitely it. We close the doors to the public for the last time at 5 this afternoon. I won't actually be here at 5 - I'm leaving at quarter to four. But I'll be here until almost the bitter end. The staff (who aren't moving until next weekend) have been given permission to have a Farewell Party next Thursday afternoon, and to invite other staff who have a significant association with the library. I was invited but alas won't be able to attend. I expect to be in Oxford with The Builder and Ian next Thursday. I shall make my farewells as I leave this afternoon

I can't even say that I opened up for the last time this morning. When I got here at quarter to eight, the removal men were stacking crates of books onto their truck. When I came upstairs, the landing and corridor were absolutely chockers full of crates. I almost had to go mountaineering to get into the office. There was no way I was going to get to the Information Desk. It was surrounded by crates.

Not that I have need to get to the Information Desk. The library is now virtually empty. There are a few books still on the shelves - though they will be gone by this afternoon. All the moving men have trundled off with their full truck to deliver them to the Adsetts Centre. They will be back (at least I hope they will - there are loads of full crates still here) shortly. In the meantime, it's nice and quiet and peaceful.

I am not here to provide an enquiry service. I am not at the Information Desk. Nobody is at the desk. Not much point, really. Hardly anybody has been in this week, by all accounts. I am merely here to provide an Advisor presence, should the need for advice arise. I can't say that it seems likely. And I could probably have advised by telephone, if necessary. But it's a nice sunny day and it seemed churlish to refuse the opportunity to come and play on the library's very last day. Mind you, it's a bit spooky up here. There are two assistants downstairs and me upstairs and that's it. Not even the ghostly Mr Nichols/Nicholson seems to be about. I'm not sure if he's sulking, left or hitched a ride in one of the boxes and gone to Adsetts!

No comments:

Post a Comment