Sunset from Hill House, Mount Helen. February 2024

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Eek! I've been kidnapped by Aliens

I’m sure I have. An Alien creature has invaded my body, captured my mind and has driven me to a complete Cleaning Frenzy. It’s very scary.

I’m on the evening duty today. Ordinarily that means we work from 1 or 2 until 9pm. Because I worked several very long days last week, I took this afternoon off as time in lieu. Didn’t need to be here until 5. So, 4.30, really, to be sure I was here on time to take over the desk.

So did I spend the morning in bed and drinking tea and surfing the net? Did I sleep and potter? Did I watch daytime TV? Did I heck. I made The Builder’s breakfast and lunch and waved him off, lunch box in paw. I fed the fishies and the cat. Then I started cleaning. I’ve cleaned everything – to within an inch of its life. Our bedroom sparkles; I’ve even dusted the louvered wardrobe doors! I hate the carpet in our room; it’s a silly champagne colour and looks filthy no matter what I do to it. It needs vacuuming several times a day and shampooing several times a month (doesn’t get any of this, mind you!). When we first got the house, I thought it would be the patterned carpet in the rest of the place that would get to me, but no – that’s wonderful; you can’t see any dust or dirt or bits on it at all! Anyway. I’ve cleaned the bathroom, including the shower which is problematic for cleaning purposes, AND I’ve washed the floor. I’ve hoovered the whole house (you can’t tell on the patterned carpet!) and cleaned the kitchen and washed the kitchen floor AND the windowsill, and tidied the lounge room (not an arduous task!) and sorted the dining room and the whole house just GLOWS. It’s shiny like a shiny, shiny glow worm. Sits up and preens! (Me, not the glow worm!)


I’ve done the ironing (not that there was much) and swept the back courtyard and watered the outside pots and cleaned the doors and swept the larder and … Oh yes! I went to Chatsworth and bought a side of lamb and a beef box and a chicken and loads of sausage thingies and that’s all in the freezer. I went to Rowsley on the way to go to Julian Graves for seaweed coated peanuts and mixed nuts and snacky things for lunches. It was eerily deserted. There were cars in the car park but very, very few people. Was a bit spooky. Never been there and found it so quiet! I also called in at the Chatsworth Garden Centre, where they had lemon trees and lime trees but no orange trees. Will keep hunting. Or wait till spring!

So you see. I HAVE been invaded by a space alien. No sensible Frances would spend what was effectively a day off cleaning and tidying and polishing! If you look carefully, you can see the real, lazy, indolent Frances, hidden, peeping out from behind the back of the eyes. We must mount a rescue bid! The cat simply went into hiding. I think he thought I was going to clean, tidy or sweep him! He thought it was rather fun when I was sorting out the fairy lights on the plants in the dining room though. Tiny lights on a string for him to play with :-)

In attention to contending with furtive, capturing Aliens, I note that my transformation into Tony is nearing completion. I was pottering around outside quite early this morning, welly boots on, admiring the sunrise, the dew on the grass; the fresh feel to the morning, the fluffy clouds; the birdies singing, the sheep bleating. Admiring the bright sense of Beginning that the morning has. How nice, I thought, cheerily. Early Morning is such a lovely time. WAIT! STOP! REWIND!!!!! EARLY MORNING?!?!?!?!? But I like evenings. I like the night. The peace that darkness brings, the solitude, the calm. But no. I am usually asleep these days, usually in my arm chair, by 10, 10:30 (might have something to do with the somnolent content of the 10:00 news :-) ) I leave my last glass of wine of the evening until the following evening. I bound out of bed in the mornings (well, I slither, but the end result is the same) by 05:45, having had a cup of tea brought to me by 05:30. Who does this all remind you of (apart from the cup of tea being brought)? Tony, that’s who. I *am* Tony!!!

Sigh. Cleaning. Lark behaviour. Tidying. Ambling about in the dew in my wellies and dressing gown. Where will it all end?
Had quite a pleasant drive into Sheffield. Left at 3:25, got here at 4:10. Even found somewhere to park in the city centre. Really must remember to organise an evening parking pass for the next time, though. And really must read the parking times and limits more carefully next time as well. Ended up paying twice through inattention (didn’t put enough money in the first time, had to pay again to bring the expiry time up to 6:30, when the need to pay ends!)

No comments:

Post a Comment